[Project] Science in 3D - build your own experiment

Sometimes, science is hard to understand through its thousands of formulas and theorems. However, they became easy understandable using spectacular experiments. In order to make such an experiment we often need to have some materials and tools. That recently became straightforward thanks to boom in 3D printing technology.

The main task of this project is to design an interesting scientific experiment using elements printed in 3D printer. You will need to decide what experiment you want to present, design its elements using popular 3D printing software, print and, finally, present it in a form ofvideo clip.

3D printing our solar system could be a good idea to make astronomy more interesting to little kids

Hello everybody!,

I’m Manuel García Piqueras, an Spanish math teacher. We wish to establish relationships with anyone interested in this project. I also have an student who is interested too. We have been working about an idea related to astronomy which could be suitable and inspiring for you. There is a lot of work already done, but we need help in order to articulate some issues; help is welcome!

We have access to a 3D printer, but if you also have another one it will be quite helpful (if you haven’t, do not worry, there are other parts where help is also needed).

Please, let us know about your questions and we will try to clarify them.

Thank you for your patience and time.

Best wishes,

Manuel.

Hi! I’m a student in Poland, and I’m also interested in this project. I’ve been conducting different types of experiments, in terms of both chemistry and psychics, so this topic caught my eye. I see it as a challenge, that requires mostly creativity. Additionally, I have acces to two different 3D printers and both abs and pla plastic, and a decent amount of experience using them. If anybody else is sure about doing this particular project, then I’d be happy to pair up with them.

Dear Jeremy,

I’m happy that you are so interested in this project. I have two students which are pretty interested in this project. If you want we can contact by email (luciaromeroarmero0502@gmail.com is the email of one of the students involved)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Jeremi ! I’m Lucía a student interested in this project. My teacher is Manuelgpiqueras. And this is my e-mail: luciaromeroarmero0502@gmail.com
If you want, you could contact me by writting there.
Greetings.

During coaching session 26.03.2018 there was a discussion concerning mainly one question:

Q1: Shall we justify that the error follow the Normal Distribution?
A1: As we consider that it is quite obvious that errors distribution for this kind of measurement follow the Normal (or Gaussian) Distribution, the justification may be omitted. It is the best approximation here.

There was also a discussion within the team members about slight change of the 3D model to be printed so it could be printed more easily. The team agreed on the change as far as it will not affect the functionality of the instrument.