[Project] From Physics to Economics: the versatility of the exponential function

Is the exponential function a simple one? Is it useful when studying various processes, in nature, in social sciences, maybe even in warfare? The answer to such questions is ‘by all means, yes!’. Get an overview of the basic properties of the exponential function. You will get to see that in many cases, very different on first sight, the exponential function serves as a general-purpose pattern, closely but not always exactly followed in the description of different phenomena.

It’s true, many things in our live are influenced by exponential functions, but people believe that are linear functions.

Hello!
A friend and I are interested in participating!

Hi, I’m my name is Angela :slight_smile: I’m from Serbia and I am looking for someone to make a team for the competition. If you are interested, write me on my e-mail andjela.besir@gmail.com

Next week and the week after the next week we are organizing on-line coaching sessions with the problem authors. During these sessions you can ask questions both on the problem and general regarding the competition rules. You are warmly welcomed to join the sessions.

Enclosed below please find the main questions and topics discussed during the coaching session on March the 21st 2018 on the topic: From Physics to Economics: the versatility of the exponential function.

Q1: In problems (sub topics) V and VI there are three problems and each team is supposed to choose one the them. Are they all of the same “value” from the point of view of evaluation?
Answer: yes, any one of these problems is of the same value.

Q2: Is it necessary to stick to one tool, when solving the problems, e.g. a calculator?
Answer: No, each problem can be solved using a different tool – one with a calculator, another with a spreadsheet, ect.

Q3. Is it necessary to use advanced mathematics, e.g. calculus, to solve the problems?
Answer: No, a team or a participant may use more or less advanced mathematical tools, but it is not obligatory. He/She may use a spreadsheet to present a numerical solution, or a graph, together with description of the solution.

Q4: To attach a large file (like video) is it necessary to upload it on YouTube. If the team does not want to make its video public, may the team upload the file on dropbox, or Google drive?
Answer: Yes, of course YouTube was mentioned only as an example. All cloud based storages which do not require prior registration and creation of user accounts may be used as a way to submit big files.

Q5. What is the max. size of all files submitted?
Answer: 65MB. The acceptable formats are PDF and ZIP. Of course the ZIP file may store files in any format (e.g. images, spreadsheet, XML etc.)

Q6: Which format should have the project summary? May it include images, charts?
Answer: The project summary should be PDF (to simplify publication on the OLCMS platform if the project passes to the second stage). The summary may have any graphical objects embedded in the PDF file.